Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Connecting with a Mentor

I said that I will update the blog once a week. However, I just posted my first entry yesterday and I am back again.

Today first thing in the morning, I met with a young associate to talk about mentoring. He is in a mentoring relationship with a senior manager and both of them are learning and getting value from the interaction. They are crossing the lines and connecting instead of watching from their side of the road.

Mentoring is a two way street.

Later, I attended a Women Executive lunch where I met several women who shared with me the importance of developing role models for young women. Young women and men can benefit from a mentoring relationship because mentors can serve as a sounding board or even become role models.

In particular, today young women are faced with an overwhelming number of options and they could benefit from strong role models that can inspire them. The lack of role models for women in the IT profession is one of the areas of focus of mine.

Together with many other women in NCTA WISE , we organize networking events and programs for women in the Charlotte NC and provide the opportunity to meet and talk with role models who have achieved career success while balancing their career and personal goals.

Just read about a study conducted with more than 25,000 students in STEM (science, technology, engineering and math). More than 70 percent of women responding said they did not have a consistent source for advice and support.

My last though for today is that Mentoring and Networking can be very valuable only when first you have an objective or a goal in mind. In other words, do not come to a Networking event or ask for a Mentor waiting for a miracle to happen.

COME with a purpose in mind!

No comments: